THE MALANGI WEEKEND

 
There was a time when weekends were all about partying and hanging out with friends. We still enjoy that sometimes, but  the joy of having two beautiful young minds to raise has challenged us to stretch our imagination and rediscover what a fun weekend can be about. My husband, Usman and I sat down and made a list of all the things we want to do as a family. Places we want to revisit and experiences that we wanted to share that are cultural,  educational and entertaining.  We started our journey with the spirit of 'let’s rediscover the city of Lahore through the children’s eyes…'
 
 
Our first stop was the grand old Lahore Railway Station. Trains and I have a childhood association. My grandfather was a Railways Chief Engineer and I remember travelling by saloons and coming to the station with him.  I was delighted as the children excitedly walked down the busy platform with its colonial buildings, red coolies and groups of passengers.  We climbed the marvelous overhead bridge, managed to check out some beautiful old trains and were lucky enough to catch a train arrival. The children were so fascinated that a train trip is definitely next on the cards.
 
With our daughter, Raaya constantly talking about Paris and Eiffel Tower (She loves the book and movie Madeline) we decided to show her our own gorgeous Minar-e-Pakistan, but sitting on a Quing Qi!  What a fun ride! With the lovely Lahori monsoon wind blowing our hair, we got a round of Circular Rd, with the stunning sights and sounds of Minar-e-Pakistan, Badhshahi Mosque and the surrounding inner city. The kids loved it so much they want to go to school in a Quing Qi everyday!


We then headed up to the Fort Rd, Food Street. Romantically lit and restored with, jharokhas, intricately carved wooden doors, balconies and windows, each building has its own unique architecture and houses a restaurant, serving Lahori cuisine on the rooftop or at the roadside tables. We sat by the Fort grounds, with splendid views of the Badshahi Mosque and ate Gol Guppas, Mutton Chops, Chicken Seekh Kebabs and Daal Mash. From families, friends, foreigners, couples, celebs in gowns to TV camera crews, the street was full of people, enjoying Lahore’s oldest, most hospitable and cultural hot spot.  I left my heart at Roshnai Gate, where a fakir serenaded me with a rendition of Ali Malang...I know why my soul always belongs to the old city..

On our journey back we stopped at the famous Chaman Ice cream at Beadon road for a round of the creamiest scoops of Pistachio, Mango, Strawberry, Chocolate and Tutti Frutti.  We couldn’t resist buying the Motiay kay haar that filled the car with its heady sweet scent. As I watched the sleeping faces of my children in the side view mirror, I thought to myself, it had been a perfect weekend, at the right side of my beautiful Lahore. Visit her soon.
 

Comments

Popular Posts